Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Spring is in the air

What I love about spring are morning runs in the bright warm sun. Biking and walking around town to run errands. And wearing a lot less layers of clothes.
But what I really love are all the fresh fruits and veggies coming into the markets.
Asparagus is in season and a veggie that I love when it's fresh and at the peak of it's season.
I also love getting out and gardening once again. This year I planted some pots of spinach, several varieties of mixed greens, romaine, lemon cucumber, regular cucumber, basil, lemon thyme, cilantro,and dill.
I saw Kath's asparagus frittata last night and knew I had to make it really soon. So after I got home from the gym and showered I walked up to the store to get the freshest asparagus.

Asparagus frittata for one:
1 egg
3 egg whites
dash garlic, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.

Topped off with some cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese. Served with two little slices of Great Harvest nine grain bread topped with a very small smidge of Earth balance butter and some Crofter's raspberry all fruit spread.
My frittata was good, but not great. For whatever reason this season I just haven't found my niche with the asparagus. Last year I loved it and couldn't get enough of it. Oh well there's plenty of other produce coming into season.

2 comments:

  1. Watch out for Oregon slugs on your lettuce. They love it. It's really not appetizing to have chew marks on your lettuce.

    You can either set containers of beer around your pot or go get Deadline or some other pet friendly method. Gotta do something. Slugs rule in OREGON. We name them and treat them as pets!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOUR BLOG. NEW MEMBER!

    ReplyDelete