Sunday, February 27, 2011

Comfort food

I didn't accomplish much today. But I did make a trip to the store for some groceries and to pickup the makings for a delicious and comforting meal.

Tonight's dinner was inspired by a recipe I once had that was amazing. I had it at my friend Michelle's and I want to re create it for another friend soon. So I wanted to give it a test run beforehand. I also knew it would be fairly easy to make once I chopped everything up. Then all I would have to do is throw it in a pot and let it simmer for an hour.

The original recipe is by Lidia Italy: Traditional chicken and rice.
My take on it was slightly different.

Creamy chicken and brown rice risotto:
* In a pot I sauteed 1 diced onion, 1 shallot, and 2 cloves in 1 TB. olive oil
* I then added 1 diced carrot
* 2 diced chicken breasts
*Seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano, and chicken seasoning
* Simmer until chicken is browned
* Add 2 cups short grain brown rice
* Add 5 cups chicken stock
* Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on low for 50 min.
* Remove from burner and let rest 10 min.

Add about 1/4 cup grated Parmesano reggiano cheese. Make sure you use a high quality freshly grated strong hard cheese. Along with 1 TB. butter, yes butter!
I would make a few small changes to this recipe next time. Since I've been sick so I omitted the 1 cup white wine. I would add that in. I think it adds a lot of flavor. I would also add some diced celery and mushrooms to the recipe. Along with a tad bit more cheese and some fresh parsley and chive at the end. But overall it was really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment