Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Healthy camping 101


I always get a lot of questions about how to eat healthy when camping. Not that I'm an expert at camping, but I have done my far share of it. I think it's very easy to eat healthy when camping or even just traveling.

How I pack for camping is thinking about ease, convenience, packing space, and most important is it tasty.
Breakfast:
I usually bring oatmeal, cereal, eggs, turkey bacon or turkey sausage, pre made healthy muffins or other baked good, and pancake mix (the kind that you just add water, such as Kodiak cakes).
Lunch:
I always bring along a loaf of whole wheat bread, turkey, sandwich makings, yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, and crackers.
Dinner:
Dinner is usually something barbecued on a little portable grill. Often we have chicken (of some variety), salmon, chicken burgers, or veggie burgers. You could also make a pre made soup or stew to bring and then warm up. To go with the main dish we usually will have vegetarian baked beans, rice, or grilled veggies.

I always pack lots of cut up fruits and veggies, such as grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, apples, bananas, carrots, celery, and broccoli, that are included in every meal. I also pack lots of healthy snacks and snack bars.

I try to bring things that are healthy but that maybe we don't eat as often, so that it feels special. The food can still be tasty, fun, and creative even when camping. It's a must to include some fun treats, such as smore's.

No comments:

Post a Comment