Monday, January 3, 2011

Great expectations


I had such great expectations for tonight's dinner. I had the perfect flavor combinations, the right plan, and the timing was just right. So what could go wrong? Well it just didn't seem to come together.

One problem being that I gave wheat berries another try, but for whatever reason I just can't fix them like Whole Foods does. I love getting the wheat berries from the salad bar and adding it to my salad for a nice chew. But when I make them at home they are just too chewy, even after simmering them for 45 min.

I also roasted some frozen butternut squash in the oven and it came out mushy and not very flavorful. Great idea overall, but it just didn't come together. But I ate it and it was packing a lot of good nutrition.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm...have you tried adding a bit more water to the cooking of your wheat berries? That might help a little bit...?
    I find butternuts difficult to "cook right" also...but hey...the flavor is so good--not even the mush can make it nasty!!
    http://greensk8r-fireandice.blogspot.com
    follow my blog if you'd like!
    :D

    ReplyDelete