Saturday, September 11, 2010

Fresh and local


I stopped at a local family owned produce stand a few miles from my house today to pick up some local seasonal produce. They had an amazing variety of everything. I picked up some peaches, nectarines, honey crisp apples (the best apple ever), red pepper, raspberries (late in the season but these looked really good), two kinds of tomatoes, and a lemon cucumber.
Dinner

I came up with a recipe that was simple and involved today's produce. I roasted one very thinly sliced sweet potato, 1/4 of a red pepper, and some of both tomatoes. I seasoned everything with some pink Himalayan sea salt, basil, and garlic, (I'm out of pepper). I baked it for 30 min. at 350 degrees and then 5 more min. on broil. You have to run out and pick up some of this Himalayan sea salt, it is well worth all the hype. I got mine at Tj's for only $2.00 and it even has a grinder built in.

I topped the roasted veggies with an egg patty made of one egg and one egg white with some dill. The whole dish was topped with some Parmesan and ketchup. You have to have ketchup with eggs and sweet potatoes, nothing else will do. I also enjoyed sipping on a mocktail of strawberry sparkling mineral water with a splash of POM juice.

This dinner was awesome, I give it a 10 out of 10.

4 comments:

  1. WOW that does look freaking awesome. I want those yellow tomatoes. Jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tons of rich colors on that plate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! What make Himalayan sea salt different?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe from what I have read that Himalayan salt has a lot of health benefits, but for cooking it's the most purest salt. So it creates a better taste.

    ReplyDelete