Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Change is good

This morning was another early morning workout.

I did a workout called shift n lift, it's based on intervals of indoor cycling and resistance training.

Round 1: I started with 10 min. on the bike followed by chest and back.
Round 2: 10 more min. on the bike and then shoulders, biceps, and triceps.
Round 3: I finished with 20 min. back on the bike

I haven't done this workout in a while and it was hard. My heart rate was definitely up the whole time and my body was working hard to keep up with the intervals.

It's always good to switch things up and keep the body working. Every workout I do is always different, whether it's changing the reps, the weight, or the type of exercise.

Change keeps you from from hitting a plateau.

After work I came home and got dinner rolling.

I made a nice Italian pasta salad, Tj's turkey kielbasa, watermelon, and a pickle.

Italian pasta salad
whole wheat elbow pasta
I ran hot water over the pasta to bring it to room temp.
1/2 of diced red pepper
2 diced zucchini's
2 TB. Tj's red pepper and artichoke tapenade
2 TB. Tj's red pepper and eggplant spread
1 TB. Newman's light balsamic vinaigrette
feta
salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and chili flakes

Mix and serve at room temp.


Here's a tip for controlling portions. I eat all of my meals on appetizer plates and my bowls are prep bowls. The dinner plates that they make now are sometimes the size of serving platters. Jeff eats his dinner on a salad plate, since he's a growing boy he needs a bigger plate. Having it on a smaller plate also makes you feel like you are eating more. When you fill your plate it's within portion size, unlike bigger plates.

4 comments:

  1. sounds like a great workout! Are you able to do this at home? I'd love to do interval training like that but our gym is way too busy! It just doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do it at home in my home gym. But I also have done it at the gym before. I just usually do longer sections of cardio, usually 15-20 min. at a time because the gyms busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great workout- love intervals. I think thats one of the reason I'm so obsessed with Body Attack. That and plyos are amazing ;). Beautiful dinner. I need to buy more watermelon...stat! I love being your bloggy friend too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great workout! And thanks for the tip on the plate sizes!

    ReplyDelete