Thursday, August 26, 2010

Comfort in a casserole

Workout
I actually went to the gym today for my workout. I think I have just been burnt out on the gym atmosphere lately. Also with the summer weather I have been wanting to get outdoors more for my workouts. But today I did some heavy lifting working my upper body. I finished with 30 min. on the sweat inducing stairs. Man I hate the stairs, it's like torcher, but it's such a good workout.

Dinner
On a day like this today when it's dark and looks like it might rain at any moment, dinner calls for a meal with lots of comfort.

So tonight's dinner needed to be something that I had the stuff to make, and fit the comfort that I was looking for.

That's where Nacho bake was made. I love the ease and convenience of this one dish casserole.

Nacho Bake
Cook ground lean turkey with a dash of cumin, garlic, chili powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. In a casserole dish coated with non stick spray I layered baked chips (I used Guiltless gourmets chili lime), black beans, refried beans, the ground turkey, salsa, and reduced fat cheddar cheese. For a little color, flavor, and just to fancy it up I topped it with diced tomato, green onion, and cilantro. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min.

Everything came together to make the perfect meal. The cilantro was the ingredient that made this dish. It just added that little something of flavor. A little squeeze of lime on top would have also been good.

I topped my plate with some shredded green leaf lettuce for a nice crunch and for a healthy serving of veggie.

2 comments:

  1. I agree on cilantro. Although you either like or you don't, if you like it, it really adds that special wow to food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh- a nacho bake? How yum is that? This looks like a great weekend comfort meal too. I really enjoy running outside right now too. Hope you have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete